Wednesday 21 May 2014

Whirlwind weekend

This weekend just gone, from which I am just recovered, I made a flying trip to London (in both senses of the word. 

Sometime back my dearest and most amazing friend Andrea sent me an invite to her 50th birthday party, with a message saying that she knew it would probably prove too difficult for me to make it but wanted to send me an invite anyway.  Hmm I thought I wonder.

first of all I worked out that it would be my weekend off - score one. Then I checked the flights- reasonable price considering the late booking. Then I contacted Carla and Nick to see if they would kindly have a bed for the night. They did. I went ahead and booked the ticket and my plan was laid.

A little while later I contacted Adam, Andrea's husband to let him know I'd be coming but to keep it secret. I wanted it to be a surprise. 


Her birthday was on the Wednesday (the day ewe arrived in VnG just 10 years earlier, on her 40th birthday, which we missed :-( 

So last Saturday I went off to BCN airport, taxi supplied by an ex-student of mine my dear friend, Irene, Sitting in the cafe at Terminal Two I received a WhatsApp message from Andrea asking what I was up to. 'Just sitting having a coffee' was my reply. we then chatted about the food she was preparing for the party the next day. I cheekily asked her to save me some. She then sent a picture of her dog saying something like: 'This is what Sooty is doing at the moment'. I trawled  through the photos on my phone and found a recent one of Cuddy and sent that saying the same. 

The flight over was otherwise uneventful and Nick met me at Luton. Back at Carla and Nick's I  met the twins for the first time, and caught up with Frankie.




Nick and I spent the night watching a film and enjoying a takeaway curry, while Carla was out babysitting at a friend's place.  The film was 'Connie and Carla' and despite a slow start was really funny. 

On Sunday morning we went into Loughton to shop and take Frankie to the park. On our return I made a pasta bolognaise for lunch - Carla wanted a simple veggie recipe she could use. 



Then it was time to party. Nick dropped me off at Andrea's and i was met at the door by Adam, who led me through to the garden where Andrea was sitting chatting. As we approached her he told her that someone had arrived who she might know. Looking round she spotted me and her mouth literally fell open. She rushed across and we hugged through happy tears. During the rest of the afternoon I met some more of her friends and family and every time we chatted she retold me that she couldn't believe I was there! - Mission accomplished. We even had time for a good catch up on each others news.



Later on in the evening, my personal chauffeur, Nick, picked me up again. Amn't I lucky to have such amazing friends. Not only do they give me accommodation, but also ferry me around whilst I'm staying. 

As it was Nick's birthday yesterday I had bought a little cake when we were out shopping that morning to which Carla added a candle and we sang happy birthday to him too. 



The following morning at a completely ungodly hour Nick dropped me back at Luton where after a bit of a wait I caught the flight home. despite having two school trips on board (surrounding me) the trip was pleasant enough. 

Back home I showered and changed and set off to school almost without time for a breath, Slightly (very) knacked but it was all so worth it for the look on Andrea's face when she turned and saw me -a look I'll have in my memory banks forever! 

So huge thanks to everyone who made it possible - Irene for dropping me at BCN, Carla and Nick for looking after me during my stay, and Andrea, Adam et al for a great party. 


2 comments:

  1. So happy to see you on Sunday. Still can't believe you came to my party! You are totally amazing xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'll do anything for my friends (especially you) - to make you feel special ! ;-) It was so wonderful to see you, and make you smile (and cry of course!!)

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: