Friday 3 January 2014

My Town - Vilanova


When I first came across this town I wasn't sure about it. On my second visit I started to fall in love with it, on my third I knew it was where I wanted to live, and to die. 
"What brought you to Vilanova?" I am often asked, and often reply with 'a car' or 'a plane'. But what really brought me here was magic - a power so strong that it united me with the home of my soul- yes I really feel that strongly about where I now live. Which isn't to say I haven't loved the other places I have lived, but now I feel settled, content and truly at home. 
True enough being an expat has its drawbacks, and advantages. For instance I don't really fit exactly here as a local, nor do I feel right when back in Britain. I am a man without ties to any land, but ties to both. A strange dichotomy that at times is freeing and at others frustrating. 
This town, and in particular our barrio, has an incredible energy that all our visitors have enjoyed.  It is a tranquil place yet lives up to a partying reputation with so many fiestas and celebrations which are held (thrown?) at least once a  month. 
I could give you the touristy round of of VnG (as it is often referred to) but you can find any of that by googling (Vilanova i la Geltru), so I don't want to do that. What I do want to impart is just how wonderful this town can make you feel. 
Not convinced by my words? Then get yourself booked on a flight and find out for real. Mi casa es su casa, as the saying goes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment: