Wednesday 23 January 2013

Healthy eating

Having watched 'Supersize - Superskinny' last night i have been evaluating my relationship with food. 

If you don't know what the programme is about it looks at two people's eating habits as they sped a few days living each others' diets. 

I am well aware that I love food, as many of you are probably also aware - It's one of my favourite blog & talking subjects. 

Something that I am struggling with is me deeply seated need to clear my plate. I find it impossible to leave anything, even if I am full. The thought of leaving anything on my plate in a restaurant almost fills me with horror. I know this comes from the admonishments from my childhood to 'eat everything or you're not getting down' but cannot believe how it is still a factor in my eating habits now. 

With high cholesterol and high BP I know I need to eat carefully and most of the time I eat healthily, but often just too much. 

At the moment our cupboards are still hoarding goodies from Christmas, but within a few days they'll all be gone. at this point I shall be considering my diet - not a slimming one - but a healthier lifestyle one- smaller portion size and less of the choccies etc. 

But for now here's a pic of one of this weeks dinners - a veggie and noodle curry - Yes this was just my plate (see what I mean about portion size) and yes I did finish it! 


2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious-recipe please. caral and I were only saying on Monday we fancy a veggie curry!

    Hope all is well over in VnG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good here.
      Our curries rarely have an identifiable recipe!
      I simply sweat some onions and add LIam's mum's curry mix (sorry exclusive VnG from Eire product) or garam masala (use as much as you need for the heat of the curry -best way is to taste halfway through cooking and add a little more if you need to up the ante). TO this I add some lentils (2 - 3 table spoons) and mix up. add water (two to three cups). At this point you can stop and you've got yourself a Dahl. Otherwise add veggies of your choice and a bit more water, a dash of tomato paste and some soy sauce (mostly for colour). Leave to simmer for 15-20mins and add a handful of noodles (optional). Cook till the noodles are soft and serve. VOILA!
      Let me know if you need more info!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: