Wednesday 30 January 2013

Writing still....

I'm sorry to my dear blog devotees, but I've been unfaithful, writing elsewhere. a little while ago I admitted to writing on a facebook group, and I'm ashamed (or is it proud) to say that I am spending my time creating on there, following the writing prompts. So just as a quick catch up here are a couple of the recent ones. I'd love to hear what you think of them.

List 10 things you would buy with your last $20 ... and put the list into a paragraph/short story.
Armed with my last twenty dollars of Christmas money I set out for the sales. That jumper in the outlet store had my name on it, and would leave me enough to get a coffee on the way back too.
Stepping outside I pulled my collar up against the cold, pulled my woolly hat down over my ears and headed into town.
On the way I passed the young lad in the stairwell with his dog. He looked as grubby as ever. 'Why doesn't he just pull himself together and get a life?' I thought to myself as I breezed past, ignoring his pitiful glances as best I could.
As I arrived at the shop I stopped, seeing my reflection in the shop window, all cosy and bundled up against the cold while the lad in the stairwell and his dog were shivering. My conscience was pricking. I passed the shop. I didn't really need another jumper. Instead I went into the one-dollar-store next door and bought a list of twenty or so other essentials, including a two dollar lottery card. Giving them to the young lad salved my conscience, especially when I saw the look on his dog's face as he got a new ball. Walking away I had my fingers crossed that the lottery ticket I had given him would be lucky too...
 Begin with: "I thought I saw ... "
I thought I saw Kevin again today. I see him most weeks. At times its a comfort kidding myself that he's still around, but most of the time it just rips the scab off the wound that I pretend is healing.
It's over ten years now since he died. Ten years in which everyone told me it would get easier. Well it hasn't.
Linking previous prompts:
How many times had he passed by me today and ignored me. Occasionally he stopped to give Preacher a quick tickle under his chin, but I might as well have been invisible.
Now here he came again, all wrapped up against the cold. Comfortable in his easy life I was sure. This time I moved forward as he passed and watched where he went.
First of all he went into the clothes shop all full of himself, but in no time had come out again as if he had forgotten something. Turning quickly he went into the bargain basement store next door. Oh to have his money and be able to shop just how I wanted.
I settled back in my stairwell and hugged Preacher to me. My thin clothes did nothing to stave off the freezing weather. I tried to drift away again but couldnt.
A moment or two later I heard footsteps which stopped at the entrance to our stairwell. Preacher leapt forward and came back with a chew in his mouth, wagging his tail furiously. Looking up I saw that guy again. He was holding something out to me. A bag of goodies from the bargain store, and in his hand a lottery card.
"For me?" I asked. He nodded. Behind his scarf I felt there was probably a smile. OH how easy it is to misjudge people.
I took the proffered bag, and the lottery scratch card, grabbed the coin I'd been given that morning and rubbed... would I be lucky? ...
You're in a room full of people and you are the only blind person there. Describe the room and the people in your mind.
I cannot see them, but I can feel and smell all of them. They are trying to be quiet but I can still hear them. One moves closer again taunting. He thinks I don't know he's there but his smell is ripe and he moves the air around him and me. He backs away only to be replaced by another. I hear the bottle open and drops are applied to my eyes again. The pain is almost unbearable, but I cannot move my head It has been held in this position now for as long as I can remember. Suddenly the quietness of the air is torn by the sound of a phone ringing... "Hello, cosmetics testing lab four, uh, huh, all is well..."
And to this picture prompt:
The old barn may have been a bit battered and need of repair, but it as a great place for a secret, and possibly, dangerous liaison.
Ned and I had been looking for somewhere to liaise for the past few days after that first secret kiss at Johnny's 21st
birthday party. I suggested the old barn as no one would ever dream of going there, although I had.
Walking towards the barn just before the allotted time my heart was racing and my adrenaline kicking in.
Rounding the corner of the barn as surreptitiously as I could I spotted Ned already comfortable on a bale of hay. If I wasn't mistaken he was already in a state of some arousal. I felt my face flush slightly at the thought of what we were about to do.
Ned was going to be my first time. I moved closer and he stood up grabbing my hands, pulling me into his bear-like embrace. His lips covered mine in an instant. I could feel the stubble on his chin rubbing against mine. And much lower I could feel his urgency pressing me towards greater lust.

  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment: