Sunday 12 August 2012

Food, Take Two and 'Magic'


We’ve been having a relaxing day here in VnG.
After walking Cuddy and Xali a little later than normal and answering e-mails and other messages I did very little until we went off to catch the bus for the seafront and another restaurant adventure.
Today we had lunch in the sunshine in one of the many restaurants on the seafront.

 

Restaurante Cuckoos;  Passeig del Carme, 12 (Paseo marítimo) Vilanova i la Geltrú, Barcelona 08800

 





Some of you may remember it as 'The Blue Room' where we adjourned for drinks after our wedding reception. Since then it has changed hands and attempted to go 'up-market'. 

We were pleased to see Toni, the waiter we know well as he has been working there since we have been living here (8 years and more) who took our order:

 

Mixed salad (no tuna)

Spaghetti Pomodoro for Tony 

Vegetable Lasagne for me

with a plate of chips 

and a bottle of Rioja chilled.

 

We asked for everything at the same time except the wine which we wanted 'tout suite' 

The wine arrived swiftly by the salad, the chips and two plates. We were pleased to see the chips were home-made and chunky. The salad was served with optional balsamic and oil. Nice touches. A few minutes later Tony's spaghetti arrived. But no sign of my lasagne for at least ten minutes. Then when it did arrive the plate was too hot to touch, but the lasagne was cold- Freezer to Microwave methinks! I called one of the waiters over and told him 'OK' he said and whisked it away- no apology or other comment. "I bet it comes back too scalding to eat next" I suggested to Tony and sure enough it did. 

Looking round the terrace I had noticed that the waiters were quite disorganised and at points three were serving one table while another table waited. The owner was working hands-on, but wasn't in control of the whole scene. 

Neither of us had the 'ganas' for desserts but decide to check out the dessert menu anyway. Now one of my 'bugbears' is restaurants that simply offer frozen desserts from a pre-bought menu in plastic tubs- an yes that is what the menu consisted of. There did appear to be a couple of home made dishes, but I was disappointed at the lack of imagination.  Which kind of sums up the meal- Two vegetarian options -both pasta, terrace laid out like a Butlins canteen and deserts pre-bought. 

The whole meal cost just under 35€ - which wouldn't normally have been a bad price, however I was a bit miffed to have been charged 2€ for two rolls that we hadn't ordered and didn't even want. So yes I did bring them home! 

Whatever let's end on a positive. The wine was really good and the company of course, and we did in fact enjoy our lunch out, something that we haven't been doing half enough!!  

 

************************************************************************

This week I've been dead busy with catching up with 'Take Two'. Each afternoon I sat down at the laptop and wrote or edited and am pleased to say that it is now finished. I have yet to re-edit it and add all the other texts 'acknowledgements, dedication etc' but hopefully will get all that done this week. I shall then upload it to the publishers, and hopefully get a proof copy within ten days. I shall check this carefully when it arrives - something I failed to do with 'Winner' and regret missing so many typos etc, eventually releasing it for sale soon-after.  Want a copy? watch this space....

 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

 In the next few days I am going to be announcing a 'The Magic of the Camino' competition. This is because I have now sold over 100 copies. Maybe not what Amazon best-seller list stuff is made of, but so many more than I ever dreamed of. When I set out I had hoped to sell around 50, I am thrilled to have doubled that. Promoting through Facebook and Twitter has clearly helped. My next Goal is to get 100 likes for my 'Magic of the Camino' Page on Facebook -so if you can help me do this I'll be most grateful. Many of the sales have been in the USA and Australia, and quite a few e-books as well as paperbacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment: