Thursday 29 August 2013

Day Four



Now the more observant amongst you will have noticed a day missing since my last post, well yes you're right -Day three in bed was spent reading and watching a couple of DVDs- having finally got the DVD player working in the bedroom. Oh and another nice surprise visit from Sue, this time with Jordi and lily, and a delicious pack of Chelsea buns- I could get used to this lark!

Yesterday I picked up a 'new' book -  'Valley of the Templars' by Paul Christopher. It didn't immediately grab me, but by chapter five or six I have got into it.




And once the TV was set up I settled down firstly to watch the Celestine Prophecy DVD. I had read  the book some time ago and wasn't sure if the film would live up to the enjoyment I got from the book. Well firstly it had some eye candy - good start - Matthew Settle and Thomas Kretschmann, and secondly it wasn't half bad, although a little Hollywood treatment had been applied, and reminded me of the insights. If you've not read the book I would suggest that the best place to start.

After that I watched 'Never let me go'- this is another adaptation from a book, which I read earlier this year, and thoroughly enjoyed. Both the book and the film are thought provoking. again I enjoyed the book more. It allows you to work out the 'plot' yourself, whereas the film spells it out more clearly. However it was a fairly faithful adaptation and yes I enjoyed it.


So that was yesterday.

Today I've been up a bit more, but still find sitting for too long painful, but things are moving in the right direction. Today I've been indulging one of my passions from the 70s, still on DVD. I've been watching a series from 1976 - The Rock Follies. At the time I was gripped by Rock Follies fever, and now, even though the series is dated and the singing isn't brilliant, I am loving every episode. I still remember most of the lyrics from the series songs (yes I bought the LPs at the time) and have been happily singing along. I'm not sure if the series ever made it anywhere else in the world which will mean many of you are wondering what on earth I'm going on about. It starred Julie Covingon (who went on to record the original version as Evita), Rula Lenska and Charlotte Cornwell. I was about 16 at the time of the series and it gripped my teenage imagination.




Tonight I am looking forward to reacquainting myself with '>the Duchess of Duke Street'... all much to Tony's amusement. I'm not sure if this one left the UK shores either, but is a kind of Upstairs Downstairs tale. I just hope it lives up to my memories of it. 


3 comments:

  1. WOW! Memory lane!! I loved Rock Follies and Duchess of Duke Street. Mrs Bridges right? I used to drive Julie Covington around when I was cabbing. She lived in Hackney next door to Mel and Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just realised Mrs Bridges was Upstairs Downstairs.. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having got on my laptop now I can reply. Not sure why but I couldn't sign in on my phone.
      Yes Mrs Bridges (and Mr Hudson) were upstairs downstairs. This was Louisa Trotter as played by Gemma Jones. Incidentally her mum was played by June Brown (Dot Cotton).
      I loved Julie Covington... must have been that sexuality thing again.She was brill as the original Evita but too 'frail' at the time to take on the stage show so it went to Elaine Paige. Ironic really.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: