Friday 1 February 2013

Fork

We'd already been walking for hours and there was no sign of civilisation, or so it would seem. We had been alone on the trail for approximately five hours now and the day was warming up. I was ready to take a break but here we were  at another fork in the road. At the last three forks we'd chosen the left hand path, and I was sure we had come full circle to where we were now. I could almost swear that we had been at this very same place just a couple of hours back.
"If we keep taking the left hand forks we'll eventually come back round on ourselves," I suggested. Jake was having none of it.
"If we keep heading left we will eventually end up in the next town which we were originally heading for he said.
"But we're not on any old path I'm sure," I asserted once again.
"Not that again." Jake sighed. "What's with you and this strange energy vibe you've had going for the last few miles?"
"I just have the strangest of feelings that we're on a fools errand and that we have been going in circles for like forever, but if you're so sure let's take the left hand fork again."
I was trying to keep my spirits up, but for some time now I had the strangest of feelings. The forest seemed to be taking on a life of its own, and I had a strange sense that we were being followed. Nevertheless I trudged on, whistling gently to try and banish the stranger thoughts from my head.
Within another half hour we were at yet another fork, and for sure I knew we had been here before.
"We've definitely been here before, Jake," I said. "Look. Those sticks lying there - that's just how I placed them the last time we passed this way."
"I hate to admit it, but I think you're right... wait a minute I can here someone coming, perhaps they'll know which way to go."
We stood back from the path a little to await whoever it was that was coming up behind us.
As the two men got closer I was sure I recognised them. As they came to within easy I sight I knew I recognised them. The one on the right was wearing fawn shorts and a striped blue t-shirt, and was carrying a pair of wooden poles, just like me. The one on the left was shorter with identical clothes to what Jake was wearing. I was dumbfounded the couple approaching us were us. It was clear they could neither see nor hear us, but we could hear and see them very clearly as they discussed which way to go...
"If we keep taking the left hand forks we'll eventually come back round on ourselves," the other me suggested. The other Jake looked sceptical.
"If we keep heading left we will eventually end up in the next town which we were originally heading for he said.
"But we're not on any old path I'm sure," the other me said.
"Not that again."  The other Jake sighed. "What's with you and this strange energy vibe you've had going for the last few miles?"
"I just have the strangest of feelings that we're on a fools errand and that we have been going in circles for like forever, but if you're so sure let's take the left hand fork again...."

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Story and Great photo - I love the idea of parallel story and universe theme - can't wait to read and see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverly. I hope to be back in the writing saddle soon..

      Delete
  2. Great little story Mark , Did they ever get to the next Town ? .
    Cant wait for your next littlr tale . x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Did they? I wonder? Who knows perhaps they will feature in a story in the future when we may all find out!!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: