Saturday 25 May 2013

A few of my favourite munchies

If you've been reading my blog, or been on my Facebook profile I would think that by now you know that I am a bit of a a foodie. Or perhaps that I just love food- preparing it, cooking it  and of course eating it. 

One of the things I really don't think I could live without (well not for long) is Marmite. I love it in all its forms, and being veggie it features in a lot of the recipes for our daily diet. 

 I also have a sweet tooth and since moving to Spain I have taken to regularly making muffins, or all varieties. I especially like ones with fruit in, as they are quite rare here. They are great to share. Tony and I would never get through a whole batch of them so they often end up at school for the other teachers and staff to enjoy. 

Eating out can be a problem here as vegetarianism is still so misunderstood- I DO NOT eat meat or fish -it's all in the name - VEG - so when  we do find a good place to eat we use it regularly and tell everyone about it. Pictured here is one of the best Salad's with goat's cheese that I have had in a long while:

Happily our local market is now stocking more veggie foodstuffs- sausages, burgers and more recently meat(less)balls, with which Tony does a mean spaghetti dish that I love.

Cheese still features (too) high on my foodstuffs I love list. During recent years I have cut down a lot (cholesterol!) but more and more English cheeses are staring to become available here- How could I not go out and buy mature Cheddar, or mature Cheddar with chillies?! 

One of the things we enjoy at the weekend is to make a delicious burger. Burgers from the market, buns from the local bakery and as summer comes round veggies from our garden or allotment. All served with chips and baked beans. 

 To maintain a healthy diet, alongside the heaps of veggies we eat I usually have porridge for breakfast, and to make it a tad more interesting I try to add some fresh fruit. Just recently this has meant adding raspberries, strawberries and/or blueberries- the perfect way to start the day...

And for lunch or dinner with friends I enjoy nothing more than throwing together a spinach and ricotta pie, or a quiche with different fillings. And for gluten intolerant friends I juts leave out the pastry and make a Spanish-style omelette with a variety of fillings. 

Go on then, what's your favourite thing to cook, eat, prepare? What recipe would you like me to share? What are you pet food hates? Marmite- Love it or loathe it? leave me a comment below and join in my foodie fetish...

2 comments:

  1. OK I have a question Mark. What are the meat (less) balls made out of??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ones we buy and they are made out of a textured soya protein. I believe, though cannot confirm never having eaten meatballs, that they can fool anyone who usually does. Next time you're round we'll try the meat(less) balls challenge on you! ;-)

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: