Wednesday 15 May 2013

ESC Part One

Yes ladies and gentlemen it's that time of the year- It's May and of course the Eurovision Song Contest. 

And of course we watched last night - the first semi final that is. None of the songs blew us away, and some of course surprised us, especially when they got through to the final- what is going on in the Netherlands - a very strange song and performance, but maybe different enough to win?!

One of my favourites was Ireland- and yes Anna was n the other end of the WhatsApp line sharing comments back and forth. I liked it in part because of the drums, and of course the bare-chested drummers, which aren't quite visible in this photo -so check them out on Saturday as, yes, they did get through.

Ryan Dolan - Only love survives

I also liked Lithuania, another good looking young man, who the presenters slated for having expressive eyebrows. I'm sorry but their humour fell flat -they are not Sir Terry!

Andrius Pojavis - Something

both Tony and I thought the Russian entry has a chance, and it was quite a surprise that she sang in English.

Dina Garipova - What if?

The usual gimmicks were on show- rising stages, huge frocks, strange dancers , and this year rapping astronauts. All adding up to an amusing evening's viewing. 

We're still not convinced that Bonnie Tyler can bring it home for the UK, but having heard the song for the first time last night did quite like it. apparently she's well-known and liked across most of Europe so has a good fan-base - well we'll wait and see. in the meantime we have the second semi-final on Thursday...

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry but I just can't bring myself to watch it . But those two young men di look rather nice .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, my dear there's no accounting for taste (we are often told!) - It really is good fun. This Saturday I'll be having a ESC party all on my own cos Tone's at his Mum's!

      Delete
    2. Shall i pop over and join you ,see if i can get into the ESC fun ?!!!.
      Hope Tone has a nice time at hes mummys.x

      Delete
    3. Wouldn't that be fun. The cava is in the fridge beside the tonic.

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: