Thursday 8 December 2011

Celebrations

Yesterday evening I had one class- one student turned up so it wasn't a difficult class. Then we went for a quick drink in the Pupot bar, before moving on to Oganquit for dinner. It was a great evening. Good food (although I was a little disappointed with my pizza- they are usually excellent, but we can all have off days so no worries), good wine, and great friends.  These aid great friends showered me in gifts- all unexpected, and all wonderful.

Not only were these friends thinking of me I also had 52 birthday messages on Facebook,  22 birthday text messages, 12 birthday e-mail messages and a selection  of phone calls and face to face good wishes. How wonderful taht so many people were wishing me well. I feel so lucky.

Today I dropped Tony off at the airport in BCN first thing for his flight to Hull to visit his mum and family for a week of Christmas celebrations.  I've just spoken to him and the weather is atrocious- wet and windy, and ultra cold. His flight was pretty much uneventful, despite having to pay €22.00 for his boarding pass to be reprinted (did I say rip-off?!!) and he's comfortably ensconced at his mum's. 




I then drove down to Cubelles to meet up with Julie, Christine and Jordi, where we were catching the train (already aboard were Bill, June and Ian) for  Cambrills. On arrival in Cambrills, and after a frotifyi8ng coffee, we walked back to Salou (about an hour and a half's walk) where June's brother has a bar and had laid on a Christmas lunch for us. The walk in the warm winter sunshine was a treat, along the seafront and into Salou Town.




Lunch was really wonderful. A full Christmas roast. Starting with Leek and Potato Soup, Roast dinner (without the Turkey or gravy for me) and ending with Apple Crumble. We all had a great time as you can see from the photos.At the end of the meal they even brought out a plate of mince-pies (the fruity ones) with a couple of candles in and sang happy birthday again.

Have I mentioned how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many wonderful souls, both here and around the world.

And talking of friends around the world. Steve from Canada whop bought a copy of my book has had a case made especially for it by a friend of his. How cool is that? MY writing preserved for posterity across the other side of the Atlantic. I am really amazed and thrilled how well my book has been received. At dinner last night Paolo was telling me how far he has got (page 254 I think) and how he was enjoying it and even gave some more detailed feedback which was really great to get. I am truly humbled by the way 'The Magic' is 'flying off the shelves' and being accepted and talked about.

1 comment:

  1. What a WONDERFUL day, Mark! I think this sums up the Life of a King! :)

    Really excited that you are having so much success with your book and I can't wait for the box to arrive ...

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment: