Saturday 10 November 2012

Early morning magic

"Just how much does this writing take over your life?" someone asked me the other day. "Oh I manage it okay" I replied, so do I? I wonder? .. just read on... 

This morning (last night) I woke at around 4.30am. Something had interrupted my sleep and for a while I lie there waiting for sleep to return. Then my author head engaged and I started thinking about where I had got to in my story, and in the still of the night four important lines for my story bounced into and around in my head.

To start with I relayed the words over and over so I wouldn't forget the. I then realised that really wasn't going to work, so crept out of bed an wrote the all important four lines down in my notebook.

I used to keep the notebook beside the bed but realised it was too invasive as I needed light to write (turn on the beside lamp, or fumble round for a torch) , not to mention my glasses. (more fumbling around) and then where did that pen go.... By the time I sorted myself out to write down my thoughts I could have woken the whole house, so now find it easier to make a quick and quiet trip to my desk to make notes.

Thank goodness I did make a note of those four lines for in the morning they were no longer in my head, but there they were on the desk in black and white, and they have moved the story along considerably.

Today I have written on and off, around the daily tasks and things that usually fill our Saturdays. I am happy with today's progress, and am giving myself a goal of getting halfway thourgh the challenge by Monday... so that's 25,000 words before I turn off the PC no Monday night. With any luck I'll be there long before that, but let's wait and see .....

A for today's photo challenge:
Day Ten - something you can't (or won't) do without:



2 comments:

  1. So ... how much DOES writing take over our lives, Mark? :)

    Love that you wake with your story yelling from inside your head! Totally understand the 'get up and go to my desk' rather than disturb the household. It is the household that's ever uppermost in my thoughts ~ how to write while being sensible to everyone else's needs.

    Awesome goal! 25 000 words by close of computer on Monday (that's today in Melbourne!). I'm up for the challenge!

    Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes -the family comes first -always try to do all I need to before writing, and consider them whilst writing (not always reciprocal), but yes the book is in my head 100%

    Still hoping to get to 25,000 by end of business tomorrow, despite today's lazy write.. Good luck US!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment: