Thursday 5 April 2012

It's raining, it's pouring....

Yup the old man is snoring- taking his afternoon siesta, so whilst I wait for my mona to bake and my eggs to harden (Fnaar) I thought I'd update t'blog.

  • April Fools Walk in Sussex & buffet.

Last Saturday I flew into Gatwick for a few days at Andrew and Jane's house, primarily because we had organised the, what looks like will be the annual Sussex pre-Easter walk.
Everybody involved turned up in good time. Jan got a little lost but was only at the end of the road so we were out of the house and on our way just before 11.00am.
Our first stop was in Fulking, at the Shepherd and dog.  It seemed right to walk about an hour before breaking just as we started each day on our Caminos. It had been many years since I had been to the Shepherd and of course it had changed. It has almost all been renovated, losing a lot of its old charm, but nonetheless it was still a suitable place for a stop, before climbing the Fulking Escarpment.

This is quite a steep incline, which caused some of our party a little aggravation, and it forms part of the South Downs Way, which Jane intends to walk next year.  However we all made it to the top without incident, and enjoyed the views it afforded us of the Sussex countryside, which were spectacular.
Along the ridge we traversed next, passing the Upper Beeding/Truleigh Hill Youth Hostel, to a steep drop just before stopping at Tottington Manor.

This is the Hotel Caroline & I managed just over 30 years ago. We worked here with Hatty and Rosie, and many assorted chums.  To say it was a 'Fawlty Towers' experience would be both over-rating and under-rating it at the same time for differing reasons. It was hard work but great fun.
We were met here by Carla, Nick and Frankie for a quick and refreshing pint, before we were back on our way for the last and short leg back to Andrew and Jane's place for a spot to eat:
 
Before I left yesterday Jane and Kerri were already planning a route for next year, probably to include Shoreham.

  • Shopping with Janey




Well I kinda think the picture says it all- We just enjoy our shopping trips and always end up being silly!!

  • A family Day out in Chichester & Arundle

On Tuesday Andrew took a day out of his busy schedule and we had a day out in Chichester. We started with a bit of shopping around the old town shopping centre, and stopped for a late breakfast at Greggs the Bakers, where they make the most delicious veggie Pasties:

 After a little more shopping and a car trip around the edges of Arundle Castle we stopped  at a little pub by the river Arun, but unfortunately as we hadn't booked the couldn't fit us in -all the tables were full, apart from the ones outside, but by now it had started spitting and had cooled down too much for our liking. SO Andrew drove on to a little pub in Houghton called the George and the Dragon, where the service was very friendly and the food delicious- now for me that's a huge compliment as although I'm not fussy I do too often think  'Ah I could have done better at home!'.


  •  A Cuppa with Hatty & Rosie.

On Monday Jane and I had to pop into Steyning (where I went to school) to do a bit of banking and as I had spoken to Hatty the day before we arranged to meet at the Steyning Tearooms. Jane and I arrived first and took a seat, soon to be joined by Hatty, Rosie and Rosie's daughter Amy.  I hadn't seen Hatty for over 10 years, and Rosie and I hadn't met up for about 20 years. Needless to say we had loads of catching up to do., and the conversation flowed. The waitress didn't appreciate our custom, and was less than friendly telling (or rather growling at) us 'Can I take your order now, as you area big party and we're going to be busy in a minute". Later on Annie and Julie joined us (Julie I hadn't seen for about 25 years!)- The waitress was most put out that our party had increased and checked with Annie and Julie 'Are you going to order then'- we decided she must have gone to a wonderful charm school!! The place is very well decked out but the prices and surly service mean we won't be returning there again. Hatty and Rosie have now promised to pop over to Casa TulStig for a break soon. Julie also wants to visit and with a bit of luck she'll drag Annie over with her.

  • Family Nonsense.

Whenever we get together Andrew and I usually have a least one round of giggling like kids till we cry. Well we did just that again. On Monday evening we had the leftovers from the buffet (Kerri's chilli was even better the next day!!) so bought some tortilla wraps to have with them. Andrew, being a slightly fussy eater, didn't want any of the usual buffet fare so had a cheese and onion pasty and Ham wrap.
  
During dinner we got the giggles over something that if I could remember it wouldn't be funny now, but all four of us (Amy joined us) were laughing till we cried. 

  • A new addition at Tottington Drive

Since Jane's cats passed away she has had a hankering to get another. Recently one of Andrew's clients: a Cattery (Cat's boarding kennel) had received a visitor- a kitten. The cattery traced its owners, and found them to be quite uncaring of what happened to the kitten. o they took him in and Jane got in contact with them saying she would like to take him.  On Wednesday morning, before I flew home, Jane and I went to pick up Bertie, as she named the young man. He's a delightful chap and so friendly. He's settling in quite well,, but doesn't like being kept in, which Jane has to do for a while or the little blighter might just wander off again.



  • Home again

As Always its nice to go travelling, but just as nice to get home again. I managed to stuff my case with loads of goodies once again - Marmite being the most important.  Toady it's been raining most of the day, and I've been catching up on some of my PC chores and stuff, as well as making Easter Eggs and a Mona cake for Julie. I'll probably update n how that all went tomorrow.

But I think for now that'll do. As you have seen I've had a wonderful little break and now am looking forward to a relaxing Easter weekend.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment: