Sunday 21 October 2012

Gorda!

Yesterday morning I had a couple of classes (until 2.00pm - still classed as morning in Spain) which went well -I must say that although I find the getting up early difficult I really enjoy  the classes once I'm there.

After class the plan was for Julie to come back to ours for lunch, before she went of to do her afternoon class.  Julie had her bike and intended to ride that up whilst I walked.

As I ran in the door my mobile rang. Julie was still outside the school. A dog had come barrelling down the street, apparently scared by fireworks, as she was talking to Sue. Julie managed to catch the dog and waited for a panicked owner to come running soon after. None arrived. So she ran the dog round to the Police station, who were extremely unhelpful. Julie told them that she had found the dog in the street, that she was on her scooter, and was off to work. She asked if they could take the dog. They told her it was her problem and that she would have to look after the dog until Monday when the dog pound in Vilafranca, a few miles away was open again. You may remember we all campaigned some time ago against the closure of the VnG dog pound, that was eventually closed down as it was costing too much. Strangely it was on prime building land?!?!

Julie called me to ask me to go and help. I jumped in the car and we brought the dog back to our house. WE were all struck by how much of a resemblance Cuddy and she had to each other. Luckily she was extremely well behaved and got on well enough with our mutts too. She was obviously hungry so we fed her up too. Whilst Julie went off for her afternoon classes I relaxed in the living room and formulated a plan.


 When Julie finished work she came to ours and we got in the car with the dog, who we were calling Janet, and went to the local Mossos D'Esquadra (These are similar to the Police) building and asked the woman on duty for help. Basically we wanted to know if she was micro-chipped. She said they didn't have a micro-chip checker but phoned round and suggested we take Janet to a local pet-store/vets to check if she had a micro-chip. The three of us got back in the car. It seemed Janet was enjoying the day out and happily rested on Julie's lap with her head out the window.

In the pet shop they ran the checker over Janet and found she was chipped, and that her name was 'Gorda'. We were delighted. They called the central chip office and gave them my number, with the plan that the owners would then call me to collect Gorda.  Back home, and more food for Gorda, who really wasn't, whilst we waited.



By nine o'clock I was giving up hope thinking that the owners may simply not want her back, but was also kind of happy as she seemed to be settling down with us anyway. Three dogs in the house wouldn't be easy but we would manage.  As I was considering this option the phone rang and a very distressed man called Manuel said that Gorda was his and that he had been looking for her all day. I agreed to meet him in front of the church with her.

AS we came round the corner of the church someone called 'Gorda' and I could see a figure on his knees. Gorda got excited and pulled on the lead. Her tail was wagging furiously and she seemed happy. Manuel thanked me profusely an showed my all Gorda's documentation from her vet card, dog passport and chip ID details. He also gave me his telephone number and said any time I wanted to see Gorda I would be welcome.

RESULT

I have to say that I was a little sad to see her go though, as I had begun imagining life with her ni the house. JUst shows I am not cut out for fostering!

2 comments:

  1. Looks like someone is getting broody....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No not really, I think two dogs is quite enough, I just got attached rather quickly to this little lady and thought we could have given her a good life!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: