Thursday 4 October 2012

October Photo Challenge Day FOUR

What you read - is the prompt for today.

being the pedantic English teacher and scholar that I am I of course dissected these three words. Firstly I wondered is it the past simple- what I read ('read' being an irregular verb and is the same in the simple past as in the simple present, only the pronunciation being different), but considered that if it were the past simple it would need a qualifier-- ie, what I read yesterday, or what I read last year. It clearly could be what I read this year as that would grammatically require the present perfect .. what I have read this year, this year still being current and unfinished. I therefore decided it must be the present simple -what I read -implying tradition or repetitive action, habit ie- what I usually read. Not: what I read now as that implies present continuous - what I am reading.... So after all these pedanticisms (Yeah I know that word doesn't really exist) I decided it means what do I regularly read and here we have it.... (although looking again at the books here, all the above tense could be used one way or another).

 Starting at the top and going clockwise:


  • Recipe book(S) - always looking for inspiration, also read the Interweb for those too.
  • My books -I read these as I write them, and then re-read them to edit and proof before releasing for sale.
  • Novels- well this is the one I am specifically reading at the moment. I usually read about 20 - 25 novels each year.
  •  My Diary -or I'd not remember what I was supposed to be doings when or where.
  • School text books -I read them at home to plan lessons, then read them at school with the students.
Of course there are lots of things that I rad that aren't featured on 'my table of the day' - I read articles on-line, newsletters that pop through the door and online, internet sites that interest me, other people's blogs,  roadsigns when I'm out, the sky to gauge the weather, faces of people to gauge their moods etc... and so on etc .... So I guess I could say I read constantly ... what about you what do you read, and what are you reading now (apart from my blog)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, and of course i rad other people's comments on my blog - If anyone ever leaves one (HINT!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he I always read it, but don't always leave a comment..

    Currently I'm reading too many situations and not enough books!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mr Brennan -I know you are a staunch TulStig Supporter.

      I should have a book for you to read quite soon! Nearly done with the edit/proofing!!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: