Wednesday 31 October 2012

Conversion therapy - No thanks.

Most of the time I don't watch a lot of television, unless it's CSI or CDWM. I make a point of avoiding the news- far too negative, both in what it reports and the way it reports it, and I only watch documentaries that I know will be of great interest to me...
Such a programme was on the other night. It was a documentary about a group in the USA who practise 'Gay conversion therapy'. Tony did suggest that I shouldn't watch it as it might make me angry. However, angry was not the emotion it brought out in me. I was saddened by it.
  • Firstly saddened that such groups still exist in what should be an enlightened age. 
  • I was also saddened that young men are not permitted to accept themselves as whoever they are, but want to fit into society as prescribed by others. Others more often than not being their parents. One father said that he could accept his son (who was just 17) being anything but not gay whilst his son listened from the sofa, dejectedly. 
  • And saddened that these young men so hated themselves and in so many cases turn to suicide as their only way out.
The programmes presenter was ultra-sympathetic and judged no-one, although she did suggest that these men and boys were not allowed free-will.
At the end of the programme they announced that this therapy is now banned from practising with men under 18. I guess that's a start. Brainwashing is not allowe3d in any other areas - why sexuality.
These men need a supportive space to find themselves, not a space that pushes them in the way others think would be best for them. 

OK Of my soapbox.... but here's my story....

When I was much younger I hated the thought/possibility that I could be 'one of those' and at the time would have done anything to change the way I was. I could so easily have been on this programme of men who identified themselves as having same sex attraction yet couldn't identify as gay. I could so easily have been coerced into a marriage by my parents and and almost everyone around me, who 'wanted the best for me'. 

I was lucky to have found myself, found my man and found acceptance.

I now wholeheartedly identify as a GAY MAN, and would have it no other way. I love my life, I love me, I love my man.

Where do you stand in this debate?How are you going to react if your son/daughter is gay, or bi-sexual?

4 comments:

  1. Interesting... In my view, as long as they are happy, and fulfilled who cares? I would have no problem with Frankie being gay or bi-sexual as long as she was true to herself and could look as contented as you two do in that picture. then I feel my work would be done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right answer.

      I just wondered how many parents would read something like this and have an immediate reaction of 'Oh but my son/daughter would never be gay', which clearly shows a level of innate societal homophobia.

      Delete
  2. I think you are right. There's a low level societal homophobia that I come across (Fnaaaarrr) daily. I don't have to go into detail the kind of things I hear, I'm sure you can imagine. and when a "straight" corrects them, well... the levels of homophobia suddenly shoot through the roof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately it seems homophobia is still acceptable in most places. One of the biggest insults here is 'Maricon' (Queer, Poof) and you can hear it almost daily. Try that with the 'N' word that I daren't even write!
      Still things are much better than 30 years ago when I came out -back then we really were in the dark ages. Can you imagine the kind of places one had to go to find a partner?!?!??! Ah the good old days!!

      Delete

Please leave me a comment: