Tuesday 1 May 2012

Two sides

This was the blog I meant to post yesterday evening, but for technical reasons (I forgot to put the laptop on charge!!) it never happened.

One side of being Gay in the 1990's:
Thirteen years ago Tony and I, and our dear friend Kath walked out of the Admiral Duncan pub in London virtually unscathed. The place had just been hit by a hateful bomber whilst we were enjoying an after work pint or two a was our preference of a Friday evening back in the day.

Two days later we found ourselves centre stage in the Observer newspaper.  A sad day for all concerned, yet happy as we survived.


And the other side:

Nick and I have been emailing back and forth this week about a wonderful performer Tony and I , and our dear friend Kath (I'm sure) used to enjoy watching back in the day.  Regina Fong was a master drag queen and we were proud to call ourselves Fongettes, knowing the 'choreography' to almost all of her numbers.  Not to everyone's taste but always a fantastic night out for us.

Happy days - what fun we had, but sad too as Reg died too long ago (2003) of cancer. However there is to be a Regina Fong charity night at the Black cap in May with tribute performances. 

2 comments:

  1. Ah, The Fongettes from afar!
    I'm trying to persuade Carla to go to the tribute night, but I'm not sure she's up for it. A shame as I think it would be a great night out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If Mrs Brennan ain't up for it just grab your best an and get on over there- If they do the Regina act justice it'll be a night to remember!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment: