Friday 29 June 2012

Dog day on speed

Today was a long one -in terms of kms-but I really found my lace foday and almodst couldn't stop. Despite the wind and rain blowing in my gavee it felt like it was behind me pushing me along.  So I arrived in Lugo much earlier than expected.
32 kms in about 6 hours, pretty good going considering just a few weeks back I was pretty much paralised by sciatica and was considering cancelling the trip completely.
It's been a bit of a dog day today. Early this morning I met a little white dog who was helping herd goats he jumpedd up on a wall to be petted. Then later I was cornered by Whiskey and Cuddy lookalikes. They just wanted to say hello and wish me on my way. A little bit later on this huge,and I really do mean HUGE, wolfhound with yellow eyes came bounding at me. Luckily I am a dog person or I might have freaked. Instead I held out one hand and in my most butch voice (yes I do have one) I told him to stop. He stopped and licked my hand looking longingly at my sticks. I think he thought I would throw one for him! Ear and back tickles later I was back on my way.
I'm now on Lugo where I did think I might take a day out, but the Camino and big cities don't go well together for me. Instead I have adjusted my timings to take the next few days at a more leisurely pace,cutting down to  16 - 20 kms a day instead of the more punishing 20-25.
So all is well and I've just enjoyed a plate of eggs and chips for my tea, with a little pilgrims blood of course.


4 comments:

  1. Holy Cow Mark - are you running the Camino - that is an amazing distance in 6 hours - glad you had some good company with the dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Mark. You have so much stamina xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woow Mark! Don't go to fast!? Enjoy your time on The Camino!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speed was just for the fay. Now the leisurely pace as I near destination end.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment: