Friday 11 November 2011

A day to remember

On so many levels today was a day to remember.


First there was the obvious- Armistice Day remembrance going on.

Second. For us it has always been a sad day. This was the day a few years ago that we had to ahve our first dog (as a couple) put to sleep. She had a malignant tumour and nothing could be done for her. The vet came to our house and she died in my arms. That was perhaps the worst day of my life. She as our (my) baby and I still knw that I haven't fully got over her loss.

Today we are lucky enough to have been able to add good memories too. This morning whilst I was at a meeting at school my book arrived. When I got in it was there on the table waiting for me with a pair of scissors with which to open the package, and a bottle of wine with which to toast its arrival. The celebration was a little tinged with sadness- How I'd have loved for mum and dad to have been around to see my achievements.



Then just as I had opened it the phone rang. It was Janey to tell me that everything had gone through for the settlement of Dad's estate, finally, and she had put my share of the money into our account. WOnderful news. To at last ahve closure on such a sad and difficult ending.

Sitting in the garden Tony and I toasted: First: Our darling Chasca. Second: The magic of the Camino and my entry into the world of writing. Third: Mum and dad for adding to our financial security, and of course to my wonderful sister in law for telling us the news and her hubby my wonderful brother.

Those of you who know me well will know that I didn't get through any of this dry eyed. But at least now this day has more balance to it- sad and Happy memories.

3 comments:

  1. Mark, what a beautiful day to remember. A day of sadness yes, but a day of memories - without memories of love and life we have not lived.
    It is wonderful to know that on this day or rememberance you are special - a published author.
    Blessings on your day, now you will have something else to remember.
    Thank you for sharing and allowing us all to share your day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO DELIGHTED to be part of your world, Mark! What a wonderful day ~ perfect in balance. (((HUGG)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. This day will definitely go down as one to remember.
    Hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment: